Having the ability to take accurate dental impressions is essential when we're planning procedures like dental crowns, bridges, inlays, and onlays. But the process for taking traditional impressions is not comfortable for everyone, especially patients with special needs or those who have a strong gag reflex. While we still use putty impressions occasionally, we also have the ability to take high-tech digital impressions to produce a digital map of your mouth. The details we obtain with digital impressions enable us to customize dental restorations like crowns and bridges and to plan orthodontic treatment with invisible braces.
Digital impressions offer many benefits:
- More comfortable than putty impressions
- Perfect for patients with a strong gag reflex
- Great for kids who can't sit still
- Eliminates sensitivity to cold temperatures
- Limits the margin for distortion and error
- Helps crowns and bridges fit better